The basic principle of acupuncture and Chinese medicine is that there is a pattern of energy, or Qi, within the body, mind, and spirit that must be balanced. If the Qi is disturbed, the manner in which a person expresses emotion will be impacted.
When it comes to grief, acupuncture may be used to help “open” the mind and body from an emotional perspective, but it can also be applied to physical symptoms of grief like back pain, blood pressure, immune system complications, and more. In addition to speaking with you about how acupuncture could be used to treat grief and grief-related health problems, an acupuncturist may also recommend additional ways to proactively manage grief. Tips can include:
- Diet modification and regular exercise
- Taking time to talk about your loss with friends and colleagues
- Writing through your feelings or expressing them openly
- Joining a bereavement group
- Celebrating the life of your loved one in a way that pays tribute to them
Of course, psychological counseling and therapy are always worthwhile avenues when faced with grief.